Thursday, March 27, 2014

Angler Fish Cornhole Board Part 3

        After narrowing down all the thumbnail sketches in my last post, I ended up picking this one:

It's pretty rough, but I thought it was probably the clearest composition out of the bunch.

        I then had to come up with some actual angler fish designs. I really didn't know how I wanted him (actually a her, the males are tiny) to look. So I brought up a few reference images of different types of angler fish, and just kind of selected my favorite features from all of them. These are a few of the designs I came up with.




And this one was my favorite. I guess I liked the teeth or something.



         After I had the design, I built a little reference model or maquette (?) or whatever you want to call it. A fish out of Sculpey.

wooden stand, aluminum wire, aluminum foil, and sculpey

         I bought A wooden dowel and a block of wood from the hardware store, put them together and made a stand. Made a wire armature/ fish skeleton out of aluminum wire. Covered the wire with tin foil to bulk it out some. Glued all of that together with Two Part Epoxy. Got out the Sculpey and started sculpting.
Covering the foil with Sculpey.
And after a day or two of randomly working on it, It was ready to be cooked.




         I had to turn it sideways in the oven because it was too big. I shouldn't have made it so big, but I really had no idea what I was doing. If I did it again I would... still have no idea.


After it cooled down I just covered it in brown and white acrylic paint.

Finished.
In the next post I'll show you some of the experiment/ practice paintings.


No comments: