Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Octopus Cornhole Board

The final drawing with some digital painting on top.

So for the second Cornhole Board I was asked to make, I was basically told to have the Octopus sort of reaching for the hole, coming out from the corner of the board.

Before starting right away on the board I wanted to learn a little about the octopus. So I watched a lot of documentaries on youtube and did a lot of sketches and a couple little study paintings. Here's a few of them:
Ink and wash on some watercolor paper

a really small oil painting.
I made an entire folder full of octopus sketches. Apparently I had no idea what an octopus looked like until i started researching it. 

After I finished the final drawing (which took awhile), I went to Staples and had them print it out on a huge piece of paper, the same size as the cornhole board. I covered the back in pencil and then traced it straight onto the board.
The final drawing. about 2.5 x 5 in.
The final drawing blown up and getting traced down to the board.

And then of course I painted on top of that for about two weeks...


This is me, probably ruining my back with that posture.

And here it is finished.




No comments: