Monday, January 12, 2015

Famous Artist Course, Lesson 9, Gas Pump Gouache

This week I had an assignment from the Famous Artist Course to design and draw a gas pump, gas can, and V-shaped sign together. It had to be painted in black and white gouache.

I started with some sketches just to find an arrangement i liked (I went with the top left). I later got rid of the modern gas can and went for an older one.

With the basic layout in mind I drew this at the same size as the finished painting.

I brought it into Inkscape really quick and messed around with the tonal arrangement. 

After Inkscape, I did a finished perspective drawing (which for some reason I forgot to photograph) and then painted on top of that. Here's the finished painting. 

And here's a close-up of the gas can, which is about 2 inches tall.

This assignment was fun. Gouache is new to me. I like it, but it has a mind of its own. 

No comments: