Monday, July 20, 2015

Gas Pump in Gouache


I entered a contest on James Gurney's blog a few days ago, basically you have to paint a gas station or gas pump or something to do with a gas station. It had to be painted on location and it had to be in black and white gouache. 



I procrastinated until almost the last day (so I kind of deserved it) but It was about 95 degrees outside, raining, extremely humid, and my car A/C decided to break that day too. I pulled into an abandoned little gas station that I found (I was very worried the cops would show up and kick me out) and painted the whole thing in the driver's seat. I kept rolling my windows up and down whenever it started or stopped raining. I also flipped on my wipers frequently when the windshield would get too covered in raindrops to see through. Halfway through the painting a huge swarm of flies got trapped in my car.  In was an uncomfortable experience but it was pretty fun anyways.

halfway through

Here's a very short video of the trip. The tripod i was using stopped holding the phone correctly halfway through the painting so all the later footage is just of the steering wheel and dashboard.



No comments: