Friday, November 4, 2016

The Gardens of Selene


Gardens of Selene
Some close-ups:


monks and swans detail






Here's a painting I just finished. A few people asked me about the process, so I wanted to show a few of the steps on here.



Step 0:

I basically wanted some huge archways overlooking the ocean, very open and plenty of plants. I got the idea of an inside gardens/ plants with big architecture from Biltmore after visiting a few years ago and have been thinking about it ever since. It slowly got more and more Roman. I started developing a story and a setting as I was working, so certain things began to make more sense than others.


Step 1:

Quick thumbnail sketches. I did a few more, but they're all just very sketchy.







Step 2.
After some research, I built a 3d model in Sketchup and played around with a few different viewpoints.




Step 3.

More sketching.  Playing around with lighting and color, also materials and decoration etc.






Step 4.

Rough drawing over the 3d model, just trying to start deciding on things.




Step 5.

Finished drawing over the rough drawing. Although even the finished drawing is pretty rough. I knew I would change a lot later. I didn't bother with people or plants yet because where I put those would probably depend more on color.



Step 6.
Quick black and white sketch to figure out lighting (again) I liked this lighting better than the soft lighting of my earlier sketches.



Step 7.
I built a little model out of cardboard, Sculpey, and some grill skewers (?) that I found, then painted it and brought it outside. Snapped a few pictures and just stared at it for a long time, also tried a few different angles.



 

Step 8.

Shadow perspective. Because I did the shadows with a real model, I had to map them out in perspective myself. I think most artists probably do this in the 3d model, because its much faster. I kind of just wanted to test myself and do it manually.



Step 9.

Gather tons of reference for everything. Although I had been doing this the whole time,  I like to try and have as much as I can ready so I don't have to keep stopping during the painting... of course that happens anyway though. This is my file in PureRef, a reference program.




Step 10.

Paint. Erase. Sketch. Paint. Delete. Edit. Paint. Paint. Rage Quit. Paint. Finish. Paint again. Paint. Edit. Finish. Sketch. Paint.

I like to just paint on one layer except for the greenery and people so I can move them around. So 3 layers, and I do that all under a slowly disappearing finished drawing. I turn on the perspective layers as needed too. Towards the end I added a couple other fancy layers.


Let me know if you have any other questions about the process in the comments.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Daniel, I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. It's great to see the artists process. I'm actually about half way through the early stages of a 'temple' like structure myself. I've just moved into the world of digital, and am adopting a 2 point perspective.

I love what you've done with the 3D model. I use sketch-up myself, and it was one of the things i wanted to start doing as a template for my digi-painting. Some may call it cheating. I call it utilising and combining various technologies and talents to create a piece of art.

However, what I hadn't thought about was building a 3D model to study lighting. This is a wonderful idea that I may attempt myself with my next piece. Inspiring work to say the least, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Dan

Daniel New said...

Thanks Dan! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I definitely recommend building models for any sort of finished painting. Even if they're just quick little models. Give me a link to your temple painting when you finish, I would love to see it!