Thursday, June 25, 2015

Mars Cornhole Board Process Part 4: The Painting

The Painting...

My studio becomes a mess whenever I paint.
    After I sealed the drawing with acrylic matte medium, I put down a few thin layers of acrylic paint. On top of that I pretty much just painted background to foreground. Mostly using thin paint at first and then thicker paints later, using my color comp and tonal as guides and changing whatever I think could be better as I go.

you can see the oil paints in the background, and the acrylic in the foreground.
I think it took me about a month of painting after I finished the drawing. I mostly used Liquin and Gamsol to mix with the paints. Sometimes when i need to paint on top of something that isn't super  dry and I'm afraid will pick up, I put down some retouch varnish and that seems to protect whatever's underneath. I did that a lot on this painting. Hopefully it won't burst into flames someday from all the weird chemicals and rushed drying times. I guess at the end of the day this is just a cornhole board, so I can't be too worried about the ill effects of sloppy oil paint procedures.  

slowly getting covered in oil paint.
Here's the finished oil painting. The whole project took me about 3 months. There was a lot of time spent learning technical things, hopefully the next one will go by a bit quicker. I have one more to make the set. Here are some close ups of the finished painting, shot with my iPhone... I should probably get a better camera.






 The whole project took me about 3 months. There was a lot of time spent learning technical things, hopefully the next one will go by a bit quicker. I have one more to make the set.

The finished cornhole board.

The theme of the next board is New Horizons, the current mission set to fly by Pluto in July and take pictures. I'm anxiously waiting to see those close ups. Both because I think they will be awesome and so I can start designing the board.

No comments: